Here is how Pittsburgh has remained the Majors' only team without a series sweep this season:
- April 3: 3-2 to the Cubs
- May 4: 7-2 to the Blue Jays
- May 11: 6-5 to the Cardinals
- May 25: 5-2 to the Nationals
- June 4: 3-2 at the Padres
- June 15: 3-2 (10 innings) at the Marlins
- June 25: 5-1 at the Rays
- July 3: 10-2 to the D-backs
Three of the broom-avoiding losses were by 3-2 scores; Arizona's seven-run ninth inning on Thursday at least prevented another miss by that count.
Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog Change for a Nickel. He can also be found on Twitter @Tom_Singer. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.