• Opening Day starter A.J. Burnett, who has not pitched in a Grapefruit League game since March 9, made another Minor League game appearance on Friday, throwing 101 pitches in five innings against Triple-A players.
• Brandon Inge took pregame batting practice, but lingering discomfort in his right shoulder blade, where he'd been hit by a pitch on March 14, forced him to be scratched from the lineup. Inge left McKechnie Field for X-rays, which were negative.
• Has the arrival of another J-Mac -- John McDonald -- placed James McDonald's identity in jeopardy? Is that why there's a new "The Demon 53" nameplate above his locker?
• Gaby Sanchez was back in the Bucs' lineup Friday, after a one-day battle with a mysterious allergic reaction.
• Mike Zagurski's candidacy for a role as lefty setup reliever took another hit, as the Rays got to him for three runs in one inning. In his first five one-inning outings (including against Spain) Zagurski allowed one hit with no walks and eight strikeouts. In 3 2/3 innings since, he has given up six runs and six hits, with three walks and two whiffs.
Tom Singer is a reporter for MLB.com and writes an MLBlog Change for a Nickel. He can also be found on Twitter @Tom_Singer. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.