On Thursday, April 5, the Pittsburgh Pirates will host Opening Day for the 2012 season of Pirates baseball against the Philadelphia Phillies at 1:35 p.m. Gates will open at 11:30 a.m. with pregame ceremonies scheduled to begin at approximately 12:40 p.m.
The following parking and traffic information will be helpful to those fans coming to the game, as well as downtown commuters.
- The Roberto Clemente Bridge will close to vehicular traffic beginning at 10 a.m.
- All parking lots and garages on the North Shore are closed to commuter traffic.
- North Shore parking near PNC Park will open at 9:30 a.m. (with event rates).
The Pirates strongly encourage fans, especially families, to arrive as early as possible as downtown parking and lots close to PNC Park will become filled early on the day of the Home Opener.
For Downtown Commuters and Fans:
A new option this season for fans is the free “T” service offered by the Port Authority from the four Golden Triangle stations, as well as the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field, to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park’s Trib-Total Media Home Plate Gate. This new option will not only present additional convenience and value parking options for fans, it also allows families with young children and persons with limited mobility greater ease by reducing their walking distance to PNC Park.
For example, fans can now park at the First Avenue Garage, the Mellon Garage and many other garages in the downtown area and ride the “T” to the doorstep of PNC Park for free. Also, fans who prefer to park at Rivers Casino and other lots west of Allegheny Avenue, can now ride the “T” for free from the Allegheny Station outside of Heinz Field to the North Side Station just outside of PNC Park.
The Pirates and the Port Authority are working closely together to effectively and efficiently manage the demand on game days throughout the 2012 Pirates baseball season. The Port Authority is ready to operate the complete “T” transit system at full capacity, with frequent headways, to handle the Opening Day capacity crowd.
In addition, the Port Authority provides a number of convenient bus routes from all over the area with direct access to the North Shore or from the Golden Triangle via the new, free “T”.
River Avenue Lots –
- From West I-376 or East I-376, take I-279 (Ft Duquesne Bridge) northbound to Exit 1D (on right) to Chestnut Ramp (on right); then right on Chestnut Street and right at traffic signal;
- From North I-279, take Exit 2B to East Street and East Ohio Street eastbound to Chestnut Street southbound;
- From North Rte 28, take East Ohio Street to Chestnut Street southbound.
- Grant Street Transportation Center (near Convention Center) – Enter via Penn Avenue or 12th Street from the 10th Street bypass. Check for space availability via iPhone (ParkPGH); Mobile (m.parkpgh.org); SMS/Text and Voice (412-423-8980).
- Station Square Gateway Clipper Shuttles – The Gateway Clipper will take fans directly to PNC Park from this location. Children under turnstile height (30 inches) are free.
- Carnegie Science Lots – Fans can enter from Casino Drive and ride the new, free “T” from the Allegheny Station.
- Fulton Avenue Lot – Spaces are available in this lot located on the north side of the West End Bridge and ride the new, free “T” from the Allegheny Station.
For Fans Over 21:
- Rivers Casino Garage – Parking is available in the Rivers Casino Garage. Due to Rivers Casino policy, everyone in the vehicle must be 21 years or older to enter the garage. For self-parking, the preferred route from I-376 is Exit 69C, while the preferred route from the West End Bridge and from I-279 is Exit 1C to Beaver Avenue southbound. For valet parking, enter from Casino Drive. Ride the new, free “T” from the Allegheny Station or enjoy the walk to PNC Park via the River Walkway.